Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gimme some cake!

So, I'm either making two cakes or 24 cupcakes for E and O's birthday that is right around the corner. I have decided on strawberry and blueberry. I know blueberry sounds unusual, but it's what E asked for, so I want to try to do it. I've been looking all over the giant world wide web to try to find recipes I think will work for me. What I find, though, are recipes made with gelatin and cake mix. Even when I put in "from scratch strawberry cake". Anyway, I found a couple that really are from scratch, but I thought I'd just ask the 3 or 4 of you that read this if you have any recipes or know of any that may be good??? I hate super dense cake, so I'm trying to find something light, fluffy, and moist. Perfect, basically. :-)

Whatcha got?

6 comments:

  1. Think I MIGHT have the perfect cake recipe for you.....and uses mostly ORGANIC ingredients! You love me, don't you?! Well maybe do a test cake first before the birthday just to make sure. You could do a cream cheese frosting instead of the one they suggest. That's maybe what I'd do. Ask, Jeremy though. He's the expert. :)

    Whole Foods Strawberry Cake
    Use fresh strawberries to decorate the top of this decadent cake.

    Serves 12
    2 cups unbleached organic flour*
    1 cup natural cane sugar
    1 TB baking powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup unsalted organic butter, melted
    1 cup pureed strawberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
    1/2 cup organic milk

    Icing

    1 box powdered sugar
    4 TB unsalted organic butter, melted
    4–6 TB puréed fresh or frozen strawberries
    fresh strawberries for decoration
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter (or spray) and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans or one 9x13 cake pan. Set aside. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients together. Add to dry, beating with a wire whisk. Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.

    To make the frosting, sift powdered sugar into melted butter. Add strawberry purée to spreading consistency. Frost the cake and decorate the top of the cake with fresh strawberries just before serving.

    * If desired, you may substitute part of the unbleached flour with whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour

    Nutrition Info
    Per Serving (140g-wt.): 410 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 1g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 71g carbohydrate, 100mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium

    Permalink | Reply

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more recipe for ya. Check out this site:
    http://www.thebakingpan.com/Cake/freshstrawberrycake.html

    The whole foods cake recipe had a review where they said the cake was "dense and buttery" so that doesn't fit your criteria for "light, fluffy and moist". :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third suggestion:
    You make strawberry and blueberry muffins topped with cream cheese frosting. I am sure you will be able to find amazing recipes for muffins. I have a great recipe for strawberry bread that could easily be made into muffins. Let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNEW you'd comment here! Thanks, Miss. :-) I'll think about which one I want to do. I just can't decide. The muffin idea sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another, though I think you know of Smitten, so you might have found this already:

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/10/pink-lady-cake/

    I made the following - it's as good as she says and would probably work as cupcakes. Still more like muffins without the frosting, but you could do a blueberry yogurt mixed with real whipped cream and just slightly sweetened frosting:

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/blueberry-boy-bait/

    I know they'll love whatever you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i am a smitten fan. ;-) thanks, nelle. the pink lady looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete